-->

Saturday, March 12, 2011

Vegan Fashion











Being a vegan isn't just about eating animal-free foods.  It means creating a better life for yourself, the planet, and the inhabitants of the world, human or not.  That means being conscious of what we wear and the products we use.

This does not mean you have to trade in being a fashionista to be a veganista!  In fact, there are many trendy vegan companies and designers, so fear not.

There is always Stella McCartney, who is an inspiration as a person and a designer.  It also helps that she's the daughter of my second favorite Beatle, Paul McCartney.  Paul is a vegan and a steward of the environment, which is probably why Stella turned out how so well.  Her story is amazing.  It makes me smile to see someone with such great fashion sense making a difference :)
Love her!!
So if you don't eat meat, why would you wear leather?  Some people think this is crazy, but it is very important.  One of the first things I did when I started my new lifestyle was rid my closet of all leather.  I didn't have fur - it has ALWAYS freaked me out.  But now some of my friends have the leather jackets and nice shoes that I felt guilty wearing.

And there are plenty of alternatives!  I mean, my closet isn't in shambles because I got rid of leather.  There are plenty of cute things out there.  And I adore my Coach purse, but it no longer accompanies me when running errands.  Instead, my $15 pleather Target purse does.

Look at these adorable handbags by Stella McCartney.  Or shoes?!  My god, I'm obsessed with shoes.  If it's Steve Madden, I'm probably going to try to buy it, after the "sniff" test, of course.  Matt makes fun of me because I smell shoes/bags/furniture before purchase if there is no tag to insure that it's not leather or suede.  

Steve Madden makes some shoes that are vegan, and freakishly cute!  But the best place to go is Target.  I have an awesome pleather jacket from that little gem, and countless pairs of shoes.  They are cheaper and animal free :)

I was reading one of my favorite blogs today, The Skinny Vegan.  She just posted a piece about vegan nail laquers which I found very interesting.  The product is by SpaRitual, and their website is phenomenal.   Yup, I'm probably going to buy into that one.

Other than that, make sure you check labels to make sure there are no animal byproducts.  For example, I used to have a nail polish drying solution that I found had mink oil in it.  Goodbye!

Make up is also very, very important.   Not only for the animals, but you put it on your face!  If the company doesn't test on animals, they are probably higher quality. 

One of my favorites is NARS.  I have their lip gloss and eye shadows.  It applies like a dream!  And NARS has never, and doesn't ever test on animals.  They even state it on their website; read it here.

Bare Escentuals (makes Bare Minerals) is another company that doesn't test on animals.  They, along with NARS, are very high quality.  I hate that makeup that feels like you have a mask on.  I prefer feeling like there is nothing on your face.  And besides being kind to animals, these products are luxurious and beyond comfortable.  Love!

Make sure that there is a seal on the products (usually on the back where they list the ingredients) that insure no animal testing.  Or you can check out a number of websites and blogs, such as Peta and The Vegetarian Site. 

When in doubt, check their website, or just call the company. 

It is a learning process for all of us, but the most important thing is to be vigilant and read labels. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers