-->

Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Banana Bread

Today I was in the baking kind of mood. I have been reading up on some recipes out of my new book, pictured below, and decided to try out something I knew Matt would like.






Like all the page markers? Yes, I have quite a few more to try. Besides the yummy recipes, I really like that Kris talks you through everything, and explains tips to vegan baking in the introduction.

Here's what you're going to need:
1 1/2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/3 cup oil
1/2 cup brown sugar, packed
1 cup mashed bananas (about two bananas)
1/3 cup rice, soy, or almond milk

So you start off heating the oven to 350 F. Lightly grease a loaf pan, or if you're super cool and have a silicone dish, skip the latter.

In a small bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.





It's a little darker because I use whole wheat flour, which brings me to my soapbox. There are a few brands that I buy consistently, but most of the time I go for what's cheapest. Not for flour and baking powder, no sir.






I buy Clabber Girl baking powder because that's what my grandmother uses (I keep a picture of us in the kitchen...I think she helps me out, ha), and they are a peanut-free facility. I don't have an allergy, but you never know who is going to eat your baked goods.

As for King Arthur flour, I love it! The product is high quality, but they are also just the coolest company. They offer gluten-free recipes on their website, they are America's oldest flour company (founded in 1790), and the enterprise is 100% employee owned! How awesome is that?

But I digress...

After combining the ingredients above, in a large bowl mix oil and brown sugar. Then add bananas and milk.






We just LOVE Rice Dream!





Sir Patton (licking the masher used with the bananas) likes to help bake when he can.

Last, mix the wet and dry ingredients together until just combined.





Bake for 43 minutes, or until a toothpick can be inserted and cone out clean, and you're done!







I put pecans on top, because Matt and I like them :)

Have a fulfilling day!

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers