-->

Sunday, May 1, 2011

Savvy Snacks


I don't know if I've mentioned it yet, but I'm studying to become a Nutritional Consultant with a program through Old Dominion University.  This will allow me to give nutritional advice to clients and help them become healthy (and maybe even vegan)!

I've been studying today, and came across a page dedicated to nutritional snacks.  It upsets me a bit that milk, cheese and eggs are listed as healthy items.  One would know from researching or reading "The Veganist", "The China Study", "The Kind Diet", and other literature, that dairy is actually addictive and not at all healthy.

And in my nutrition book it says yogurt, milk, cheese, and eggs are OK?  Some people prefer moderation, but I can tell you from my own experience that dropping dairy has helped me lose weight effortlessly, AND I never get sick :)

It was after coming across the "health conscious" snack of, yes, cheese and crackers, that I thought about making my own list.  I don't know about you, but I'm not aware of any super foods in a snack of cheese and crackers.  Sodium?  Check.  Refined white flour and sugars?  Check.  Artery clogging, habit forming, casein-laden cheese?  Check, check, check!

So next time you start craving cheddar or ranch dip (oh, how I miss you), remember these snacks.  Keep them on hand, and you'll never be left unsatisfied.

Adult PB&J

This is one of my favorite snacks, and I also eat it for breakfast when I don't have the time to juice.  Just spread organic raw almond butter on a whole wheat English muffin, and top with some strawberry preserves.  OH.  MY.  GOODNESS.  It tastes sinful.  A lot of times I'll reserve it for dessert, as well.

Hummus and Veggies or Pita

Hummus is my downfall;  I will eat it until I'm physically ill.  Just buy your favorite hummus at the store, or learn how to make it here, and indulge with red peppers, carrots, or even warm pita bread.  It's so comforting!






Mini Veggie Pizzas

Also a great lunch or dinner!  Just take marinara (homemade is always best!) and slather it on a whole wheat English muffin.  Top with fresh spinach, tomatoes, and peppers (ummm, banana peppers would be delish) and you have a mini pizza!


These are just a few snacks that I enjoy, but fresh fruit, spinach salad, fresh juice, a baked sweet potato, raw nuts, and homemade trail mix are also great alternatives.

Happy snacking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers