-->

Saturday, May 28, 2011

Mexican Stuffed Bell Peppers



Sorry it's been so long since my last post!  My mom has been in town and we've been traveling and staying busy.

But tonight I finally was able to make a home cooked meal.  Stuffed bell peppers is one of my favorite meals, but since our diet switch we've used quinoa instead of the traditional ground beef or turkey.  Tonight, I tried something different.

To start cut the tops off of bell peppers (this recipe will fill four or five), place in a baking dish with 1/4 cup of water, cover with foil, and place them in a 350 degree oven for fifteen minutes.

Then, saute the diced tops of two red bell peppers, two spring onions, and a package of vegan imitation ground meat.

When cooked, mix with 1/2 - 1 cup cooked quinoa and 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa. Homemade is the best, but I used a close second, Muir Glen.

Fill tender peppers with quinoa and faux meat mix, and place in the oven for another fifteen minutes.

While in the oven, concoct a pico de gallo, or chop tomato and avocado sprinkled with lemon if you're like me and used all the onions in the stuffing mixture.


Top the cooked peppers with the pico, and you have a delicious - and healthy - meal!!

If you have leftover stuffing, just munch on it with homemade (or store bought organic) tortilla chips!  Oh my goodness :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers