-->

Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Mini Pizzas & Compassion


I blogged about savvy snacks the other day, and I just couldn't help myself from making mini pizzas for dinner last night!

Here's a pic:


Formerly a cheese addict, I didn't miss that stuff one bit!  I was full after just two.  All you do is cover  a whole wheat English muffin with homemade marinara, and your favorite toppings.  Then put in a hot oven (something similar to broil) until the edges get a little brown.  DELISH!

Now, compassion.  As I've stated earlier, I became a vegan for selfish reasons - my health.  Just over half of those who decide to follow this lifestyle choose to do so because of animals.  I think that's just excellent, but nonetheless, that wasn't me.

Don't get me wrong, I've always loved little creatures.
However, for years I justified my obsession with Chick-Fil-A.  And it was an obsession.  I still yearn for their waffles fries...sometimes I give in :)

I can't even stomach the thought of eating a grilled chicken sandwich.  Now I know the health implications of meat and such, but the thought of eating one of those precious creatures - it's too much.

We now know that when we ingest meat, we are also absorbing the hormones and antibiotics that the animal was treated with, along with the adrenaline that rushed through it's body the second before execution.  That's heavy stuff.

Along with getting bulkier for no apparent reason (hormones), and getting sick more often (antibiotics and contamination), we are also now a society of high anxiety.  This is for many reasons, but many scientists believe that meat is a major factor in this (adrenaline).

I can't speak for everyone, but I will speak for myself.  Since this diet has entered my life, I've found myself so much more at peace.  My meals aren't provided because of a creature's misfortune.  Along with being free of the hormones, antibiotics and anxieties, I am at peace.

Before I wouldn't think twice about killing a spider.  I won't do it anymore.  Not even a fly, and flies run rampant in our neck of the woods!  It's funny because I expected my husband to make fun of me when I ushered a spider out of the house.  But he does the same thing!  And when we watch, say, the Discovery Channel, Matt turns his head away when there is animal carnage on TV just like me.

We also have a tradition of "sending love" to animals in need.  Those poor chickens on the way to the processing plant get love from us.  They've never been loved in their entire lives, and here they are in cramped quarters on their way to become someone's dinner.  Doesn't every creature deserve to be loved?  After all, we would never send our dog to become a meal.  What makes a chicken/pig/cow/turkey so different?

The longer you abstain from meat and animal products, the more you recognize your love for animals and nature.  You can't help it!  And this compassion creates a peace within yourself, your home and your world.

Now, spread the love!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers