-->

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Vegan 101



I've been wanting to start this blog for a while, so let's get the ball rolling!

I'm sure there are a lot of vegetarians out there wondering how the heck they are going to give up cheese, milk and ice cream (I'm drooling all over my keyboard). Well, it's a struggle. But just as it took work to become a vegetarian (because let's face it, everyone likes chicken fingers), it's a little difficult to transcend into veganism.

I still have issues. I'm just gonna lay it out there - I had lasagna with cheese last night. Yup, I sure did. My friend Emily made her famous lasagna and I'll be darned if I'm gonna pass it up, or chance insulting her. And it was delicious!

But then I felt a little guilty. But this is a process, right? It's hard to quit cold tofurkey. And if someone is nice enough to cater to my meat-free needs, why be rude and snub a delicious looking lasagna?

So my rules are currently to cook only vegan (though my husband, Matt, adds cheese and occasionally chicken to his meals), but if I'm at someone's home and they present a bowl of mac and cheese before me, I will respectfully accept the offering, amidst intense salivating. But meat is an absolute no go for me (though a month ago I tried escargot; it was on my bucket list, I had to! the shame!) .

But this is what's so cool about your lifestyle. It's just that - yours. So you may feel it's OK for you to eat grilled snapper if it's cooked for you by someone else.

And you will find some things are difficult to give up, while others are easy peasy. For me it's honey, ranch, cheese, and ice cream that are torturous. Milk wasn't a big deal, since I converted to soy a while back. But it's not as hard as you'd think, because there are plenty of alternatives. For example, replace honey with agave, ice cream with rice dream, eggs with Ener-G egg replacer. Also, Tofutti is a great brand for diary replacements.

Progress at your own speed. Or, just start with the a term coined by famous author Kathy Freston, "veganish". Which brings me to resources :)

I'm a newbie at becoming a Veganista, so of course I had to read a few books. And I have plenty on my to-read list:

1) "Appetite For Reduction", Isa Chandra Moskowitz

Anything by Isa Moskowitz is phenomenal, but this is the first I've read. She also has "Veganomicon", "Vegan with a Vengeance", "Vegan Brunch", and the two I'm looking forward to reading the most - "Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World" and "Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar". She's witty, knowledgeable, and so fluffin' creative! After reading this book, I knew I'd be fine.

2) "The Veganist", Kathy Freston

She helped Oprah go vegan!   I saw her on that episode and knew I'd have to read her books. Besides "The Veganist", she has written "Quantum Wellness"and "The Quantum Wellness Cleanse". Check out her website: http://kathyfreston.com/. I am absolutely obsessed!

3) "What to Eat", Marion Nestle

This is the first book I read that made me seriously consider giving up diary. Marion Nestle is highly regarded in the nutrition community, and has plenty of books out that one might find helpful.

4) "Skinny Bitch", Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin

Ridiculously awesome. I love the attitude! Former models become modern vegans, and you can't help to want a little bit of what they're having.

5) "Why We Love Dogs, Eat Pigs, and Wear Cows: An Introduction to Carnism", Melanie Joy, PhD

Again, just another book that puts it all into perspective. During my vegetarian days I didn't see the harm in a pair of leather shoes or a nice Coach purse. I mean, really? I wouldn't even eat animals, but I'd wear them. This tome helped change my tone.

So that's a pretty good intro to those of you just starting out.

Good luck! I know you can do it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers