-->

Friday, April 15, 2011

Cous Cous and Asparagoose



We're on a cous cous kick. I gave Matt the option of bulgar, cous cous, or quinoa, and guess what he picked? No surprise there. I'm a quinoa fan, myself, but I do enjoy a hearty plate of cous cous.

Last night we baked butternut squash, cubed it, and mixed it with fresh red bell pepper (gotta get that vitamin c!) and cous cous. I'm a cumin and curry fan, so I added a bit of that as well. Yum tum tiger!


White asparagus, or "spargel" as it is called in Germany, is very common this time of year in Northern Europe.  It is quite popular, and I have seen it several times at the local grocer, so yesterday I decided to pick it up.  I always like to add something green to the plate, but whatevsies.  It's pretty!

Besides being good to look at, wikipedia has this to say about asaparagus:
"It is a good source of vitamin B6, calcium, magnesium and zinc, and a very good source of dietary fiber, protein, vitamin A, vitamin C, vitamin E, vitamin K, thiamin, riboflavin, rutin, niacin, folic acid, iron, phosphorus, potassium, copper, manganese and selenium as well as chromium, a trace mineral that enhances the ability of insulin to transport glucose from the bloodstream into cells. The amino acid asparagine gets its name from asparagus, the asparagus plant being rich in this compound."

As I read in "The Beauty Detox Solution" by Kimberly Snyder, our body craves protein based on it's need for amino acids.  And it seems that asparagus is rich in this, as well as many other delicious vitamins.  Please please read this book!!

The more books I read, and the more I evolve my diet, it seems my body feels lighter, more compassionate, and less diseased.

I used to be the girl that had chronic sinusitis.  I mean, nasty clogged up nose, mucus overload, neti-potting 5 times a day...it was miserable.  Finally I resorted to steroids which made me have hot flashes, crazy spells, and added about 20 lbs to my petite frame.  Ew.  But I couldn't breath, and even the neti-pot, nasal strips, and apple cider vinegar were of no use.  Talk about one hot mess...

But besides sinusitis, in one year, I came down with strep, the flu, and pneumonia.  I was so sick! 

Then I became a vegetarian.  I honestly haven't been sick since becoming a vegetarian.  To have optimal relief, I knew dairy would have to go.  But the cheese stood alone.

I easily gave up milk, and slowly transitioned icecream and yogurt out of my diet.  Yet the cheese remain.  Now I know that it was the casein that had me under it's spell, but try telling that to a cheese fiend!

This time of year I would typically be up all night, gasping for air, even with my sexy chic nasal strip, possibly resorting to Afrin just to get some rest, and then snotting all over myself during the day.  It's a pretty picture, yes?

No more!  This once very very sick girl has been free of all that nonsense since becoming a Veganista!  It's just funny because I still find myself going down the drug aisle at the commissary, then realizing, I need not :)

So if you have chronic sinusitis and are weary of letting dairy go, let me assure you, if it's not for the animals or the environment, this life change is for YOUR health!  And you can be free of sleepless nights and mucus filled days.

Graphic?  Maybe.  Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers